Monday bustle

It's a busy Monday morning.. I try to shake off the feeling of not getting enough sleep and try to get prepared for work. I remind myself why this job is so important to me and why I have to be on time. If only I was one of those kids that their parents have managed to accrue millions to make their lives easier for them. Don't get me wrong. I like to work hard for what I want, go get it and all...but everyone knows that in Naija,if u like be multi-talented and dripping with ideas, if your peeps are not rich or well connected or even yourself..then those dreams may remain just that, dreams!.  

I snap myself out of my daydream, rush into the shower and get dressed. On my way out, I can feel my landlady staring straight into my back from her balcony upstairs just so I can greet her “Good morning ma”. Hmm…finally I call out “E kaaro ma” (which is Yoruba for Good morning ma ), she quickly responds ka’aro. In my mind, I'm like whatever.. Thirsty woman. One would think she was deprived of regular greeting in her past life..lol. I rush out and try to see if I can get our estate shuttle to get me to the estate back gate so I can make my way out.

Luckily I get one just as I am close to the junction and it's still has room for me.
On our way, I notice the usual hustle and bustle that happens on Monday mornings in Lagos.  People trying to make their way to their place of livelihoods,even those who don't have a real job gotta pretend to head somewhere. You don't want your neighbors looking at you in the area like the one who is home all day, everyday. The jobless one!
I am lost in my thoughts thinking about how I keep procrastinating on things I know I should have done last wk or last year. I really need to stop putting things off till later. I am going to be 30 in a few months. Definitely not sure how I feel this year. A little unaccomplished for sure. I am grateful to God for all I av been able to do though,believe me, I have a room over my head and steady salary earnings every month. I  am aware a lot of my mates are jobless and even destitute if that’s an appropriate word.. I just feel like I would have had a very prosperous business and my own family by now with at least two kids. If only I was not always unlucky enough to meet immature guys who cannot seem to make up their mind about what they want.

My looks don’t help also. Younger guys keep walking up to me thinking we are mates or they are older. I know its a good thing,its just now I wish it didn't serve that purpose. I would like to be approached by men who are older and more matured. But that seems like a stretch nowadays. At least then, I would not have to teach him everything. Maturity would be very helpful. I feel like the men now want you to tell them how to do everything. I don't know why I have to be the one to raise you. I mean,what did your mother do? Except tell you, you are a king and you deserve the world.

Black men say black women are angry all the time.We would not be so angry if we did not have to deal with your self absorbed superior ass all the time thinking you deserve the world and we are all here to serve you. Well, I wanna be served too. What do you think?  OK.. Fine. We love black men, I mean.. Is it their looks?, their strength, their sense of humour.. OK, maybe not the sense of humour, think whites and other races have that on lockdown better. Other race of men just always take themselves less seriously. You only see a brother with that kind of humor if he does it for a living, like a comedian or an actor. I just wish getting a grown and matured man was less stressful nowadays… but it's not. If you meet a focused one, it's either his manners suck, or he is not ready. While the fun one with good manners is still trying to figure out his finances and that is not attractive at all. Too wavy like they say now. Lol. Aargh…this generation and slangs. So annoying! Everyone feels the need to shorten every word. It's exasperating. Anyways I have to figure out my finances and love life this year. I say a silent prayer to God to help me.

The bus stops at the final bus stop and we all make our way out. I catch a guy and lady staring at me. Probably wondering how I look this good this early. I know, I wonder how I always have my makeup on fleek every morning even when I am not in the mood for it. I just have a reputation to live upto. I always look flawless and believe me ,it's not easy sometimes. It is what it is though. I cannot stand women who look shabby.. Especially on the first day of the week. It’s just tacky.. My opinion though.
I mean, you had the whole weekend to be ready for Monday.

Got to work few minutes to 9 and my colleagues are missing. Probably stuck somewhere in the Lagos traffic. The epic Lagos traffic happens almost everyday,  especially on Mondays and Fridays and believe me, it's always the absolute worst. Today is one of those days I am grateful I stay close to where I work and don't have to go through the hurdles of public transportation in Lagos when you live far away, or even the erratic fare hike that happens a lot on Mondays because they know how desperate you are to get to your destination on time.

You see ...in Naija, we pretend to care about each other but it's all a pretence because we are the first to stress each other out over everything. From the government to the retailer who sells you commodities, everyone wants to rip you off and exploit you at every opportunity they can get. It's so sad… but we are all used to it. We complain for a minute then move on with our lives and look for how to make ends meet. Or we deal with it with humor like we usually do. Our leaders know this about us.. That's why they do and undo, knowing we won't ever do anything besides complain in hushed breaths or between ourselves and never make open protests or challenge their authority like other countries do. We just sit home and complain.. So they go on with the exploits and live an affluent lifestyles at our expense.  Isn't that what the late Fela Anikulapo kuti sang about ‘ suffering and smiling and this was in the 70's..yet it's still happening till this very day. It's an enigma.

I slowly say a little prayer in my mind before I sit down on my chair that this wk gets to be a blessed one. Even tho I don't always remember to do this. I am confident that my early morning fajr prayer has covered it or has me covered till the next one ,which is the Zuhr. I remember a time when I taught I could never ever pray five times daily and stick to it..seems like a lifetime ago now. Even though it was just a year and half ago. Now I am not comfortable when I miss just one..and I am so grateful to Almighty Allah for this. I guess what they say is true..you only become close to God or remember him when you have problems. I am glad though that it did bring me to him but I have been stuck ever since and he never disappoints me. If only people would just know that the daily prayers he asked us to perform are not for him but for your own good. You need the blessings and guidance, not him.

My colleague comes in looking radiant.. We exchange the usual pleasantries and ask about each other’s weekend. Before we set about our daily work. I am tired of the usual nine to five (9-5) work hours every day and I am surprised I even lasted this long in the civil service. The situation of the country hws made civil service job now seem desirable as the private firms sack and withhold staff salaries anyhow. Hence, everyone wants to work with the government so that they can always rely on regular salaries monthly. This applies only for Lagos state staffs though as other states are owing their staffs for months. It's the situation of the APC administration and there's nothing anyone can do about it. We are all talked out. In Africa, all we do is pray. Prayer to us solves everything. This is what happens when you pray and not act, Nothing!

I wish our brothers and sisters would realize this sooner. Look at countries like Korea, Great Britain and so on who do not believe in God yet are living very good lives with a system that works and functions as it should. This is what happens when you act when you should, and put the right factors in place to make sure everything runs smoothly and concurrently always with little or minimal corruption not like us here. Where corruption is the order of the day.

I cannot wait to get out. It's a miracle Nigerians are not able to appear in Canada using vodoo cos everyone is tired of the country.  No light, no fuel for generator. Every day situation (like Teckno the musician said). We are merely existing. It's the reason why our life expectancy is so low. How can our expectancy for men be 50 and women 55-56. We live very stressful lives day in, day out and hope for the best.

“ ‘It is well.. That's our famous slogan’.” but we cannot kill ourselves truly 😂. We just keep keep on pushing while hoping for supernatural/divine intervention. Is that not why the churches and mosques are packed day in, day out. Fellowship for morning, crusade for night. They are constantly seeking a miracle. What a pity! The clerics know this and exploit their weaknesses. If you tell them..they tell you it's for God. Lol. I had no idea God now spends local Naija currency o. Aaaah, not good to be gullible and vulnerable. All sort of goings go down. They clothe and feed their clerics,leaving them with excess.. Even luxuries they give to them at their own expense. Na waaa!
It is what it is though and I truly believe Africans can never change. They are the same all over the world. “ ‘Religion’ they say is the ‘opium’of the people.” The dumb ones though..lol. Better miss me with that bullsh**t.

Some of us do know better and refuse to settle for less. That is why we will never give in or give up cos we know a better life exists out there and we won't stop till we get it!


Comments